The Technology in Schools emphasis area prepares you to create instructional materials and to plan, implement, and evaluate advanced technologies in classrooms and other learning environments.
The Technology in Schools emphasis area focuses on the following competencies:
- Understand theories and perspectives in using technology to support teaching and learning;
- Use technology planning, management and integration in an educational setting;
- Build strategies that advance teaching and learning with technology.
The program requires 30 credit hours and includes course work in these categories:
- Required (13 credit hours)
- Approved Electives (17 credit hours)
- At least 15 credit hours must be at the 9000 level.
See Learning Technologies Advising Aid for the Technology in Schools Emphasis Area for program details.
You will develop and present a portfolio of products and artifacts of demonstrating mastery of the Technology in Schools (TiS) competencies. Ideally, products and artifacts are added to the portfolio as the work is completed, rather than waiting until the last minute to assemble the portfolio.
See TIS Portfolio Details file for more information.
Before You Apply
You may take up to nine hours of SISLT course work prior to being officially accepted into the program.
- Taking courses prior to applying does not guarantee admission.
- Take courses that will be included in your program of study — check with your academic advisor before enrolling.
- May 1 for summer admission.
- July 1 for fall admission.
- Sept. 1 for second 8 week fall courses.
- December 1 for spring admission.
- Feb. 1 for second 8 week spring courses.
Course enrollment dates vary from semester to semester. For the most current information, visit the MU academic calendar for dates to remember.
- A GPA of 3.0 or higher (A=4.0) on the last 60 hours of undergraduate course work
- Some types of relevant experience
- GRE scores are not required.
- TOEFL (80) or Duolingo (105) scores (if applicable)
If you don’t meet one of the above standards, you could possibly be admitted on probation status. If this happens, you must maintain a minimum GPA of 3.0 during your first 12 hours of graduate course work, with no grade lower than a B.
How to Apply
- Prepare electronic versions of your resume, statement of purpose (what you hope your degree will do for you), and two letters of recommendation.
- Apply using our convenient online Graduate Application system. Upload the requested files.
- Provide an official copy of your transcript from the college or university where you received your bachelor’s degree.
- Official transcripts should be sent to MU Office of Research and Graduate Studies, 210 Jesse Hall, Columbia, MO 65211.
- All international applicants, regardless of other study in Anglophone institutions or countries (including in the U.S.) will need to submit a TOEFL score of 80 or a Duolingo score of 105. The only exemptions are for students from the countries listed on the ITAP site as being exempt.
Once all your application materials are in place, we will review your credentials and notify you of the decision. Most decisions are made within a month. If you must have your admission decision by a certain date, please notify our student coordinator, providing the date and rationale. We will do our best to meet your deadline.
When you are accepted into the program, you will be assigned a faculty advisor. Email your advisor to begin the program planning process.
Use the Learning Technologies Advising Aid for the Technology in Schools emphasis area to guide your program planning. Fill out the S-2 Program of Study Form. This form establishes the courses required for you to earn your degree and must be approved by your advisor. Submit the S-2 form by the end of your second semester in the program.
- SISLT Course List
- Scholarships and Financial Aid
- Student Groups
- Conference Travel Support
- MS and EdSp in Learning Technologies Forms
- Other General Forms
- SISLT Student Services: firstname.lastname@example.org
Toll free: 877-747-5868 Local: 573-882-4546
SISLT Student Services Office
303 Townsend Hall
Columbia, MO 65211